*Issued by the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth on 20/02/2022*
We are writing to you today (Sunday, 20 February) regarding preparation and arrangements for Storm Franklin which is hitting our shores today and through the night (20/21 February).
As at 10.34 today, Met Eireann has issued Status Orange wind warnings for:
- Clare (valid from 12:00 on Sunday, 20 Feb to 00:00 on Monday, 21 Feb),
- Galway and Mayo (valid from 15:00 on Sunday, 20 Feb to 03:00 on Monday, 21 Feb) and
- Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo (valid from 19:00 on Sunday, 20 Feb to 07:00 on Monday, 21 Feb).
The Department advises that as was the case last week for Storm Eunice – all early learning and care (ELC) and school-age childcare (SAC) services subject to Orange Wind warnings as listed above should open as normal tomorrow morning (Monday, 21 Feb) – unless local conditions are such that it is unsafe to do so (e.g. fallen trees and power lines etc.)
All other counties (not listed above) in the country should also open as normal tomorrow.
The Department strongly recommends that you regularly review the Met Eireann website throughout the day and early in the morning for any further updates.
In the event that any counties are upgraded to red wind warning or orange snow warning (today or in the morning) ELC and SAC services in these counties should close on Monday.
With regard to arrangements for force majeure payments:
- In the event that red wind warnings or orange snow warnings are issued (today or in the morning) for certain counties for Monday – ELC and SAC services located in these counties are not required to apply for force majeure.
- ELC and SAC services located in counties not subject to red wind warnings or orange snow warnings that close tomorrow due to adverse local conditions must apply for force majeure. Pobal will contact all services in this regard.
We trust the above provides you with certainty as to the current position in terms of the opening/closing of ELC and SAC services tomorrow.
Thank you for your ongoing cooperation and stay safe.
Early Years Communications Team
Early Years Division