About Childminding

A childminder cares for a small group of children of mixed ages in a ‘home from home’ setting.

Childminding is legislated for by the Childcare Act 1991, which is interpreted by the Childcare (Pre-School Services) Regulations 2006.Under the Child Care Act 1991, a person minding more than three children from different families is obliged to notify the HSE of her/his childminding service, with the exception of those who mind multiple birth children or siblings.

A ‘pre-school child’ is a child who is under six years of age and who is not attending a national school or a school providing education similar to a national school.

Where a Childminder is minding 3 or less children or is legally exempt notifying the HSE (see above), a Childminder might wish to voluntarily notify that she/he is providing a childminding service and can do so by contacting Sligo County Childcare Committee. A member of staff will then contact the Childminder, to arrange in advance, a date and time to visit the Childminder, and will offer help advice and guide the Childminder.

When everything is in order, the Voluntary Notification Form will be signed off, following which, the Childminder will be sent a confirmation that she/he has voluntarily notified. Voluntary notified Childminders are operating to the high national standards.

Role of a Childminder

A Childminder cares for a small group of children of mixed ages in a “home from home” setting. Children are welcomed as individuals, they are offered affection and respect and their developmental and recreational needs are met. Childminders offer a flexible service, tailored to each child, thereby helping parents and guardians to balance their work and family commitments. A Childminder negotiates and agrees her/his terms with parents.

(National Guidelines for Childminders 2008, 2)


Childminding Insurance is an essential part of your business as a childminder working from their own home and is important for their protection.   All Childminders should ensure that their childminding service has adequate insurance cover and is supported by a current Certificate of Insurance.  

Home insurance policies will often offer cover for childminding and the specifics for your particular insurance should be checked with the Company.

Specific childminding insurance is available for members of Childminding Ireland. For further details https://www.childminding.ie/childminders/insurance/

A Childminder registered with Tusla should refer to the requirements outlined in the Quality and Regulatory Framework for Childminders. 


Childminders Tax Relief Scheme:

Registering with Revenue

There is a legal obligation when becoming self-employed to register as a self-employed person with Revenue. For guidance on registering as a self-employed person please check out the following link:


Childcare Services Relief

Childminders who care for a maximum of 3 children in their own home at any one time and earn up to €15,000 can access Childcare Services Relief. 

The Relief provides an exemption from income tax to those providing childminding services subject to certain conditions.  

Further details are available in Guidelines on Planning a Childminding Business in your home. The Revenue link is https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/children/childcare-services/index.aspx


Step 1 

  • Do I have adequate space in my home to provide opportunities for play, indoors
  • Do I have adequate space in my home to provide opportunities for play, indoors and out, places for children to sleep, eat, change nappies, etc?
  • Are others in my family supportive of my plans and aware of the implications  to everyone in the home, including noise, untidiness, wear and tear, a  constant busy atmosphere, parents coming and going, etc?
  • Are others in my family prepared to share my time, their own family home with  other children?
  • Will I have the time and energy at the end of a busy childminding day to  devote to my own family and our household needs as well as time to prepare for  the next day?
  • Am I aware of the importance of finding time for myself, to provide balance in  caring for minded children, my own family and myself to avoid stress, fatigue  and burnout?

Often a person decides to set up a Childminding Service without realizing the full impact on their home, their family and themselves. If, after considering the issues raised above, you still feel you are a suitable candidate to provide home based childcare you can act on step 2 or 3.

(Childminders Information Booklet 2008,5)

Step 2

Contact Sligo CCC support & development staff on 07191-48860 and they will discuss Childminding in more detail. They will send you the ‘Childminders Information booklet’ and the ‘National Guidelines for Childminders’.

If you have any further queries, please click on the following link Childminding FAQ (https://www.childminding.ie/help-and-advice/faqs/)

Translate »
Share This