Under the National Vetting Bureau (Children and Vulnerable Persons) Acts 2012-2016, it is compulsory for employers to obtain vetting disclosures in relation to anyone who is carrying out relevant work with children or vulnerable adults.
ELC as relevant work: Any work or activity which is carried out by a person, a necessary and regular part of which consists mainly of the person having access to, or contact with, children in – (a) an establishment which provides preschool services within the meaning of Part VII of the Child Care Act 1991
Statutory obligations on employers in relation to Garda vetting requirements for persons working with children and vulnerable adults are set out in National Vetting Bureau (Children and Vulnerable Persons) Acts 2012-2016
The Acts create offences and penalties for persons who fail to comply with its provisions.
The National Vetting Bureau of An Garda Síochána issues vetting disclosures to organisations employing people who work in a full-time, part-time, voluntary or student placement basis with children and/or vulnerable adults.
The National Vetting Bureau does not decide on the suitability of any person to work with children and vulnerable adults. Rather, in response to a written request for vetting, the National Vetting Bureau releases criminal history and other specified information on the person to be vetted to the prospective recruiting organisation.
Below is a list of organisations that support ELC and SAC services and practitioners to obtain Garda Vetting:
Early Childhood Ireland (Members only)
Barnardos (services and practitioners that are not members of ECI)
St Nicholas Montessori Teacher’s Association (members of SNMTA and their staff)
Garda Vetting Resources
- National Vetting Bureau (Children and Vulnerable Persons Act 2012
- Barnardos Vetting Service
- Early Childhood Ireland Garda Vetting Service
- An Garda Síochana National Vetting Bureau
- Presentation on completing evetting procedure
- Childcare Act 1991 (Early Years Services) Regulations 2016
- Childcare Act 1991 (Early Years Services) (Registration of School Aged Childcare Services) Regulations 2018
- Children First Act 2015
- Tusla Early Years Inspectorate
- Tusla ELearning Programme
- Tusla Quality and Regulatory Framework