The After-School Child Care Scheme (ASCC)
What is ASCC?
The purpose of the program is to support low in come and unemployed people to take up a job (including Job Plus); increase their days of employment; or take up a place on a Department of Social Protection (DSP) Employment Programme. The programme provides subsidized after-school childcare for certain DSP customers, who have children of primary school age.
In general, to qualify for support under the ASCC, a parent must
- Be currently getting a Jobseeker’s Benefit (JB), Jobseekers Allowance (JA) or One Parent Family Payment (OFP) or on a DSP employment programme; AND
- Be in receipt of a JB, JA or OFP payment or have been on a Department of Social Protection (DSP) employment programme (or any combination of the 4) for at least 3,months;
- Have one or more children aged between4 and 13 who are in primary school;
- Either start a new job or increase the days you currently work; or
- Start a DSP employment programme (except CE*)
*CE is excluded from eligibility for ASCC as the CE Childcare (CEC) Programme provides subsidised childcare for all CE participants with children from 0 to 13 years of age.
How do I know what childcare services are currently in the ASCC programme?
Click here for the ASCC List for Sligo
Services may charge the parent additional fees, subject to a strict maximum.
The rates of state contribution for ASCC places is:
- After-School:€40 per week
- After-School with Pick-Up:€80 per week
The maximum amounts that services may charge parents per week for ASCC places is:
- After-School: €15 per week
- Afterschool with pickup service: €15 per week
Pro rata amounts are paid for places of less than 5 day’s duration.
How do I access a place?
CCCs allocate places on a first come-first served basis, up to a maximum number of places available. To apply for an ASCC place parents must submit the following:
- Letter of eligibility provided by the DSP. The letter must state all of the following:
- Name of parent.
- Start date of entitlement to childcare support.
- Confirmation that the parent is eligible for the ASCC.
- Proof of their and child’s PPSN.
- ASCC Application/Declaration Form. ASCC Declaration Form
A full day rate of €105 per week is payable during school holidays (10 weeks in total). Parents can be charged a maximum of €15 per week.
For further information on the After-school Child care Scheme, Click on this Link